NPs Taking Action
Whether they’re deepening their awareness of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) through continuing education or promoting the Joining Forces campaign on their Facebook page, NPs play a key role in enhancing the wellness of service members, veterans and their families.
Here are just a few of the ways you can take action:
- Understand the issues our military families are facing.
- Explore CE opportunities in PTSD, traumatic brain injury (TBI), depression, and suicide prevention.
- Participate in events honoring our military NPs and their families at AANP’s National Conference in Orlando,
June 20 – 24, 2012
- Create a flyer or newsletter for your practice highlighting veterans and their families and your commitment to serving their unique health issues
- Ask all your patients whether they (or someone in their family) have ever served in the military.
- Create a Joining Forces landing page on your practice website with resources and links to information on military culture, PTSD, TBI, etc., or add their logo and link it to http://www.whitehouse.gov/joiningforces.
- Use social media (Twitter, Facebook, etc) to disseminate Joining Forces educational information.
- Connect with the Joining Forces Campaign.
- Plan or participate in a Veteran’s Day event to show your support.
- Work with your local Veterans Administration (VA) hospital or VA outpatient clinic to improve care for veterans.
- Partner with other health professionals to support high-quality, multi-disciplinary care for this distinct population.